Applying for Alien Registration Card

Previously, I talked about applying for D-4 visa. After applying for a D-4 visa in your home country, you have to apply for an Alien Registration Card (ARC) in Korea.

Students who are planning to study for more than one term should apply for the D-4 visa first and it is only a single entry visa. After you have arrived in Korea, you are required to apply for an ARC within 90 days of the arrival date. With the ARC, you are then allowed to leave and re-enter Korea within the validity date. The ARC serves as your identification card which can prove your resident status in Korea.

There are two immigration offices located in Seoul. Seoul immigration office at Anguk (Sejongno branch) and Seoul immigration office at Omokgyo. Seoul immigration office at Anguk (Sejongno branch) services people in the areas of Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu, Dobong-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Gangbuk-gu and Nowon-gu of Seoul. Seoul immigration office at Omokgyo covers all other areas of Seoul except those listed above. So, if you are living at SK Global House, you have to visit the immigration office at Omokgyo.

Directions to Seoul Immigration Office at Omokgyo

Required Documents
1. Passport
2. Photocopy of passport x 1 (can be photocopied at the immigration office)
3. Photocopy of visa x 1 (can be photocopied at the immigration office)
4. Passport photo x 1
5. Certificate of admission (can be printed at the KLI office for 800won; can only be collected on the next working day after 1300)
6. Application form (available at the immigration office)
7. Application fee of 30,000won/33,000won (30,000won to collect in person or 33,000won to have it sent to your mailing address; fees can be paid with cash or card at the ATM on the first level)

Collection of ARC (in Person)
If you choose the mailing option, then you have nothing to worry about. However, if you have decided to collect the ARC personally at the immigration office, bring the slip of paper given to you when you applied for your ARC to the second floor of the immigration office. If you can’t make it in person, you can nominate someone else to collect the ARC on your behalf, just fill in the necessary details on the slip of paper.

1. For example, if you intend to apply for the ARC on Tuesday, do make sure that you get your certificate of admission printed on Monday or the week before
2. Go to your respective levels (1F or 3F) to get your ARC done according to where you stay, there will be a board near the immigration office on level 1
3. For those who choose to collect the ARC in person, if you have a mobile number at the time you apply for your ARC, you will be informed about the collection date via SMS. If not, the immigration officer will let you know the date to come back again for collection
4. It will take at least 3 weeks to process your ARC
5. You are recommended to make an online reservation and go to the immigration at your allocated time
6. If you want your ARC to sent to your mailing address, you will need to know your mailing address. For your reference, this is the address for students living at SK Global House:

(Korean version)
서울특별시 서대문구 연세로 50
연세대학교 604동 (SK글로벌하우스) [Room number]호
[Name] [Contact number]
우편번호 03722

(English version)
[Name] [Contact number]Room [Room number], SK Global House (Building 604)
Yonsei University
50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 03722


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s